On this site you will find information related to claims, claim submissions, documents available for download, and pertinent notifications.
Please click this link to go directly to the Trust Documents page
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that a hearing on the motion to approve Western Asbestos Settlement Trust’s Seventeenth Annual Report and Accounting is scheduled for Thursday, June 17, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. before United States Bankruptcy Court Judge, the Honorable Hannah L. Blumenstiel, at the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of California, San Francisco Division, located at 450 Golden Gate Avenue, 16th Floor, San Francisco, California 94102 in Courtroom 19.
Please note, the Trust office has moved.
Please use the below address for all future correspondence.
560 Hammill Lane
Reno, Nevada 89511
Modified Successor in Interest Documentation Policy
As a reminder, the Trust has historically accepted the following documentation to support a
successor in interest signing a release:
- California Probate Code Section 13110 affidavits, properly completed under California law, and
similar affidavits properly completed under that laws of other states;
- Letters testamentary and other documentation from probate proceedings definitively
adjudicated by state courts of competent jurisdiction; and
- California CCP Section 377.32 affidavits, filed and accepted with a California court of competent
jurisdiction, and similar affidavits filed and accepted by courts of competent jurisdiction in other
In addition to continuing to accept the above listed documentation in support of a successor in
interest signing a release, the Trust will now also accept a form of Trust Affidavit from a successor in
interest for this purpose. The form of Trust Affidavit is linked below.
In continuing to recognize the ongoing response to the outbreak of COVID-19 and related
governmental restrictions, the Trust will accept electronic signatures for the form of Trust Affidavit
consistent with the Trust’s Electronic Signature Policy as it applies to releases.
Indexed Base Case Values for Economic and Medical Loss
The new indexed base cases values for 2021 are as follows:
Economic Loss Base Case- $273,000
Medical Loss Base Case- $332,000
Assumed Future Medical Loss and Funeral Expenses- $124,669
- Effective on January 1, 2021, the Trust will only be disbursing claim payments and filing fee refunds by ACH.
- If you have not provided your firm’s ACH instructions to the Trust yet, kindly contact Barbara Malm, CFO, email@example.com, 775-324-5511, with any questions or for assistance in submitting the banking information on the Trust’s form by encrypted mail.
- The completed form must be returned to the Trust in Word format by email to Barbara Malm.
- The email must be sent by a firm partner or, if from another firm representative, a firm partner must be copied on the email.
- If you file with any other Reno Asbestos Trusts, only one form is necessary.
Timing of Requests for Consideration at Trustees’ Meetings
Any requests for revisions to Trust policies or procedures, physician certification, modifications to an approved list, and/or Trust Distribution Procedures/Matrix interpretations or questions to be considered during the Trustees’ meeting must be received by the Trust on or before the deadline, listed below.
For requests to be considered at future Trustees’ meetings, the schedule is as follows:
Trustees’ Meeting Deadline for Requests
February 2021 Friday, January 15, 2021
April 2021 Friday, March 12, 2021
September 2021 Friday, August 13, 2021
November 2021 Friday, October 15, 2021
Deferring Claims Update
In order to move a claim to deferred you must provide the following information:
- Claimant’s Name
- Claimant’s DOB
- Claimant’s SSN
- Claimed Disease
- Apply $250 filing fee
- List at least one site/ship of exposure
The filing fee will be forfeited if the claim is withdrawn or exceeds the time limitations in the deferred queue. A claim may remain in Deferred for six months, the firm may request an additional six months. If the claim has not been resubmitted after one year, the claim will be withdrawn.